Re: Disable the more command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Disable the more command
Date
List pgsql-general
Froilan Mendoza wrote:

  >On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Marcos Barreto de Castro wrote:
  >
  >>      Can someone tell me how can I disable the more
  >> command at the end of any one page display in
  >> PostgreSQL 7.0 ? I simply don't want to be asked to
  >> press a key to continue displaying the result of a
  >> query.
  >
  >Hmm.  I don't have the answer to your question, but I have a question
  >which does the reverse -- how can I _enable_ the "more" function? .. when
  >I do, say \do, there are a lot of operators displayed, how can i see them
  >per page.

\pset pager

From psql manpage (in release 7.0.2):

              pager  Toggles the list of  a  pager  to  do  table
                     output. If the environment variable PAGER is
                     set, the output is piped  to  the  specified
                     program.  Otherwise more is used.

                     In  any case, psql only uses the pager if it
                     seems appropriate. That  means  among  other
                     things  that the output is to a terminal and
                     that the table would normally not fit on the
                     screen.   Because  of  the modular nature of
                     the  printing  routines  it  is  not  always
                     possible to predict the number of lines that
                     will actually be printed.  For  that  reason
                     psql  might  not  appear very discriminating
                     about when to use the pager and when not to.

     "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said,
      We ought to obey God rather than men."
                                        Acts 5:29