Re: Two many databases... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Grant
Subject Re: Two many databases...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:21:31PM +0200, Robert wrote:
> - each client gets separate database
>
> - one common database for all clients, each table has client_id field
> added

I'm not in your situation, but I can tell you that if you went with method
two, I would not recommend your services to my clients.

I work with many many law firms, and the possibility of their data getting
mixed up with someone elses (no matter how remote) would prevent me from
recommending that path.

While the maintenance is a bigger problem, I don't see it at nightmare
level. The biggest problem appears to occur when making table/index level
changes. I would think that it should be possible to write a wrapper for
those kind of updates that would make them across the board to each client.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Timothy Grant                         tjg@exceptionalminds.com
Chief Technology Officer              www.exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer                      (503) 246-3630
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.               fax (503) 246-3124