Re: [GENERAL] shared memory - progress - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] shared memory - progress
Date
List pgsql-general
> OK,
> I can assign and manipulate shared memory in BSD/OS3.0 notes to follow.
> Now the problem is that as I vary the number of shared buffers and amount of
> shared memory I vary between two kinds of errors. If shared mem is too low
> that generates an error - 'out of buffers', if too high, I get palloc
> errors - memory exhausted.

Too low means you are asking for more shared memory than was configured
for your kernel.  palloc errors are because there is not enough memory
left for your query to complete.

Most palloc errors are caused by some user error, or too many OR's in a
query, which will be fixed in the next release.