Re: what Linux to run - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: what Linux to run
Date
List pgsql-general
David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org> writes:
> Long thread - figured may as well toss in some data:
> We use CentOS 5 and 6 and install PG from the yum repository detailed on
> the postgresql.org web site.

> We've found that the PG shipped as part of the OS can never be trusted
> for production use, so we don't care what version ships with the OS --
> we'll never use it.

[ raised eyebrow... ]  As the person responsible for the packaging
you're dissing, I'd be interested to know exactly why you feel that
the Red Hat/CentOS PG packages "can never be trusted".  Certainly they
tend to be from older release branches as a result of Red Hat's desire
to not break applications after a RHEL branch is released, but they're
not generally broken AFAIK.

            regards, tom lane