Re: make caught doing what configure should... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make caught doing what configure should...
Date
List pgsql-patches
Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:
>> Besides, I think the warning message is appropriate in any case, since
>> it lets bison-less people know that they had better not blow away gram.c
>> or hack on gram.y.

> Er, not really, it (the warning) gets blown away by all the rest
> of the ./configure output.  It might as well error out, not just
> warn, then you can actually see the message.

Erroring out would be completely inappropriate unless we had made an
*accurate* check that gram.c was out of date.  I think that's probably
a cure worse than the disease; we risk unnecessary configure failures
to gain, well, not a lot.  You're right that configure's output is too
chatty for many people; but isn't there a "--quiet" option?  Seems like
that's what they should be using if they don't want to see details.

            regards, tom lane