Re: Fix pgstatindex using for large indexes - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fix pgstatindex using for large indexes
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> Maybe we should just bite the bullet, and implement int64 emulation
> for platforms that don't provide one?

Why?  Workarounds such as "use double where needed" have served us
perfectly fine so far, with far less effort and notational ugliness
than this would involve.

There will come a time where either there's a really good reason to rely
on int64, or we feel that it's moot because any platform without int64
is certainly dead anyway.  I'm not sure how far off that time is, but
it's probably some fairly small number of years.  My position is simply
that pgstattuple does not present a reason to make that decision today,
especially not when making it rely on int64 is at variance with the
coding method already in use in related parts of the core backend.

            regards, tom lane