Re: problems with large objects dump - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problems with large objects dump
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sergio Gabriel Rodriguez <sgrodriguez@gmail.com> writes:
> Our production database, postgres 8.4 has an approximate size of 200 GB,
> most of the data are large objects (174 GB), until a few months ago we used
> pg_dump to perform backups, took about 3-4 hours to perform all the
> process. Some time ago the process became interminable, take one or two
> days to process, we noticed that the decay process considerably to startup
> backup of large object, so we had to opt for physical backups.

Hm ... there's been some recent work to reduce O(N^2) behaviors in
pg_dump when there are many objects to dump, but I'm not sure that's
relevant to your situation, because before 9.0 pg_dump didn't treat
blobs as full-fledged database objects.  You wouldn't happen to be
trying to use a 9.0 or later pg_dump would you?  Exactly what 8.4.x
release is this, anyway?

            regards, tom lane