Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> writes:
>> There are some nontrivial issues to be thought about here, like under
>> what conditions "CREATE SCHEMA foo" ought to create a top-level schema
>> versus creating a schema under some other schema that we are pretending
>> is the active "catalog".  But it seems on first glance like something
>> could be worked out.

> Just go the extra info and call the top level catalogs in the commands
> as well:

Nope, doesn't meet the spec requirements.  One thing we can certainly
say is that there would have to be a notion of an "active catalog"
(which could be determined by outside-the-spec means, perhaps a GUC
variable) because "CREATE SCHEMA foo" would have to create foo as a
child of the active catalog.

I'm also fairly unclear on what this implies for search_path searches.
Currently, as soon as you have more than one dotted name, search_path
is ignored ... but should it be used?  Maybe "a.b" ought to be sought
as "foo.a.b" for successive values of "foo" from the search path.