Re: patch for between symmetric, asymmetric (from TODO) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: patch for between symmetric, asymmetric (from TODO)
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> I did task from TODO: Add BETWEEN ASYMMETRIC/SYMMETRIC.

> The implementation in this patch has the same problems as all the
> previously rejected attempts: it evaluates its arguments twice.  You
> need to make BETWEEN SYMMETRIC into a separate node type that evaluates
> each argument only once.

Sure, but BETWEEN already does that; Pavel's not making that situation
any worse.  The trouble with making it a separate node type is that that
raises the stakes a great deal concerning the amount of planner support
needed (assuming you still want indexability...)

            regards, tom lane