Re: Low throughput of binary inserts from windows to linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Low throughput of binary inserts from windows to linux
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Axel Waggershauser" <awagger@web.de> writes:
> On 12/9/06, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> This has to be a network-level problem.  IIRC, there are some threads in
>> our archives discussing possibly-related performance issues seen with
>> Windows' TCP stack.

> I searched the archives but found nothing really enlightening
> regarding my problem. One large thread regarding win32 was related to
> a psql problem related to multiple open handles, other mails referred
> to a "QoS" patch but I could not find more specific information.

Yeah, that's what I couldn't think of the other day.  The principal
report was here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg01231.php

    By default, Windows XP installs the QoS Packet Scheduler service.
    It is not installed by default on Windows 2000.  After I installed
    QoS Packet Scheduler on the Windows 2000 machine, the latency
    problem vanished.

Now he was talking about a local connection not remote, but it's still
something worth trying.

            regards, tom lane