Re: 8.4 Performance improvements: was Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.4 Performance improvements: was Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alan Stange <stange@rentec.com> writes:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> AFAIK Opensolaris doesn't implement posix_fadvise() so there's no benefit.

> It's implemented.   I'm guessing it's not what you want to see though:
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/libc/port/gen/posix_fadvise.c

Ugh.  So apparently, we actually need to special-case Solaris to not
believe that posix_fadvise works, or we'll waste cycles uselessly
calling a do-nothing function.  Thanks, Sun.

            regards, tom lane