Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 17:08 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2008 11:24:44 Seth Grimes wrote:
> > I give a plug to to PostgreSQL as the base for a variety of data
> > warehousing products in a blog article, ParAccel Excels By Tapping
> > Experience and Open Source, at
> > http://www.intelligententerprise.com/blog/archives/2008/06/how_paraccel_ex.
> >html
> >

> AFAIK Truvisio does not distribute any open source products. And actually, I
> don't know of any contributions they have made directly to the community.
> They hired command prompt to do some work, and that was contributed back, but
> not sure on the specifics (i'd guess contributing back might have been part
> of the deal)... the people I know who work there are swell guys though! :-)
>
> Greenplum does distribute an open source product, specifically the bizgres
> database. It's not widely used, but it is still available, so they should
> probably be credited as such.

Greenplum sponsored my efforts to include Partitioning and Sort
improvements into 8.1 and 8.2 respectively, and have contributed at
least 3 other patches that the community has rejected (for whatever
reason). IMHO, Bizgres was really their way of showing that useful work
had been done, but I agree it is out of date now in many respects
because and only because it hasn't been updated since 8.1.