Re: [OT] Installing 8.3beta on debian (stable) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [OT] Installing 8.3beta on debian (stable)
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 11:28 -0500, Sean Davis wrote:
> I have recently been convinced by a colleague to use debian (stable)
> for our server.  Now, I would like to install 8.3beta.  I have been
> running 8.3beta on another server and it (as usual) is quite stable.
> How do I go about installing 8.3beta (using apt, if possible) on the
> debian stable?  Feel free to tell me to ask on another list/forum, if
> that is the best answer.

There will never be an official Debian package of 8.3 for current
stable.  What you can do is download the source files from
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/postgresql-8.3 and then build
postgresql-8.3 from source.  The process will go something like this:

[download postgresql-8.3_8.3~beta2-1.dsc
postgresql-8.3_8.3~beta2.orig.tar.gz
postgresql-8.3_8.3~beta2-1.diff.gz ]

[cd to a working directory, then
dpkg-source -x .../path/to/postgresql-8.3_8.3~beta2-1.dsc
]

apt-get install devscripts
cd postgresql-8.3
debuild

You will also have to install any packages that are reported as missing
along the way; these are build dependencies.  You can ignore the GPG
signing at the end of the build, since the package is only for your own
use.

The binary packages will be placed in the parent directory.  Install
them with:

dpkg -i *.deb

This will not sort out dependencies for you.  If any dependencies are
missing, install them with apt and repeat the dpkg command.

 You're nearly out of time!   http://www.lfix.co.uk/disappearance.html

believed to be clean.