Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum loose ends - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum loose ends
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Ok, so there's a reason for having a manual stat-reset.  However what's
> the rationale for cleaning stats at postmaster start?  In fact I think
> it's actively bad because you lose any data you had before postmaster
> stop/crash.

We probably *should* drop the stats file if any WAL replay activity
occurs, because the stats file could be out of sync with reality
--- this is particularly important in a PITR recovery situation,
where the stats file is likely to be WAY out of sync.  (Maybe only
clobber it in PITR mode?)

I agree that the argument for doing it in a normal restart is pretty
weak.

            regards, tom lane