Re: [solved] WAL ends before end time of backup dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: [solved] WAL ends before end time of backup dump
Date
List pgsql-general
> Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> > LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000170000002B" from archive
> > LOG:  record with zero length at 17/2B6EACC8
> > LOG:  redo done at 17/2B6EAC84
>
> It looks to me like you archived this log file before it was fully
> written.  You should take a close look at your archiving procedures.

Ok, I found the problem. Completely my mistake, because I was running
through the test without being careful.

On the first recovery attempt, I left the postmaster.conf, including the
archive_command setting, in the data dir along with some archives in
pg_xlog. When I started recovery, it overwrote some of my archived
segments.

The archive script isn't supposed to overwrite existing files, but I had
a typo in the check and didn't realize it because in the normal case
everything was archiving correctly.

Would it make sense to throw an error if there's a recovery.conf and
files already exist in pg_xlog?

Thanks for narrowing down the problem for me.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis