Re: database name aliases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: database name aliases?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 19:58 -0800, Reece Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 16:43 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > You can use "ALTER DATABASE name RENAME TO newname;". Does that
> > help?
>
> This is what I do now to evolve from development to staging to
> production, as well as to deprecate versions. That indeed solves most
> of the problem.
>
> Aliases might solve two problems. The first is to address the oft-
> recurring problem of wanting to be able to refer simultaneously to an
> instance and more generally to a concept (e.g., HEAD in cvs,
> or /etc/alternatives/ for system executables, etc). That is, one could
> refer to a specific db version/instance as well as a name for the
> "most recent" version (or dev, stage, prod, or whatever).

I see what you're trying to do, but PostgreSQL just doesn't have that
capability. An extra layers of indirection may be nice, but in this
case, it doesn't exist.

You should probably take a look more on the application side. You can
probably accomplish what you need with network software like PgPool. I
don't think that can currently do what you need, but that might be a
better place to implement the features you need.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis