Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From aklaver@comcast.net (Adrian Klaver)
Subject Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords.
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Matthew Pettis" <matthew.pettis@gmail.com>
> would the 'ident sameuser' entry qualify as a 'some non-functional
> authentication method'?

Yes. Basically you only get one shot at each connection to satisfy the requirements of a pg_hba line. The lines are
readtop to bottom, so if you have restrictive line at the top that your connection cannot satisfy then you are locked
out. As has been mentioned on Linux the default action is to connect via the local socket in the absence of a host
name/ipin the connection string.So in your case with no host specified the connection would attempt a socket
connection.The first socket line is:
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

so you would need to be logged in as the Linux user postgres to make the connection.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net