Re: Problem with migration - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Davis, Sean \(NIH/NCI\) [E]
Subject Re: Problem with migration
Date
List pgsql-novice
The typical answer is to use pg_dumpall from the newer version to dump the information in the older version.  Then, do
therestore on the newer version.  Try that.  If it doesn't work, then you can at least post the error messages that you
receive.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: radgar@wp.pl [mailto:radgar@wp.pl]
Sent: Fri 10/20/2006 6:07 AM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] Problem with migration

Hi,

What I tried to achieve is move pgsql database from one machine to
another. Obviously the new machine has also new version of pgsql (7.4,
it's not actually "new"; the old machine has pgsql 7.0 installed).

I read a lot of different howto's and simple tips - nothing worked
(starting with the migration.html document) - everything failed. I
figured out that the problem lays with the pg_dumpall not creating the
databases (-d worked most of times - not sure, didn't record every move
I took), but it didn't create the users (pgsql users that is). So my
question is:

Is there any way to move the pgsql user database (pg_shadow)? Or has
anyone got an idea how to simply move from one version to other on two
different machines?

regards,
Rafal Mroz