Re: Patch for ODBC driver (look for odbc.ini in more than - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Ross Thomas
Subject Re: Patch for ODBC driver (look for odbc.ini in more than
Date
List pgsql-patches
> It looks like we already have this capability in 7.2:
>
> /*
>  * theIniFileName is searched for in:
>  *  $HOME/theIniFileName
>  *  theIniFileName
>  *  ODBCINSTDIR/ODBCINST_INI
>  */

Unless I'm missing something, this still doesn't match what "most" ODBC
drivers do - for example, it doesn't look in /etc (or other
./configure-defined location) for a system-wide file, or in $ODBCINI. This
can be annoying for a sysadmin wishing to provide a predefined set of data
sources.

Someone mentioned that 7.2 can use an iODBC library to read odbc.ini, which
is an improvement, but IMHO PostgreSQL's driver should be more flexible by
default, without having to link with a library. (This would also be useful
as far as binary packages go, as there needn't be a different PostgreSQL
driver package for each driver manager.)

Regards,
Ross Thomas