RE : [pgsql-advocacy] interesting PHP/MySQL thread - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno BAGUETTE
Subject RE : [pgsql-advocacy] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

> And, to avoid the connotation of bias, whomever writes such a
> migration
> tutorial might want to suggest using the PEAR:DB abstraction layer to
> avoid migration hassles in the future.  http://pear.php.net/

I don't like very much PEAR::DB since they have a HUGE lack in the
errors messages accuracy... I've lost time due to an "Unknown error"
displayed by PEAR::DB which was in fact a "Permission Denied" from
PostgreSQL...  :-/

I've already tell them about this problem, but they seemed to don't care
about that.

I'm waiting PHP5 (which should have a better object model with the
possibility to throws some exceptions) and newer PEAR::DB that uses the
PHP5 possibilities. So, I will still use the pg_ functions for several
years again before having a new look on that ! :-)

Cheers,

Bruno BAGUETTE - pgsql-ml@baguette.net